Thursday, November 15, 2012

Week 4


You will never believe what happened to me on Tuesday. I was called to the office, I know still scary even though I am the teacher, and told that I was going to receive an iPad for my classroom! So after I calmed down, I realized I had a lot of planning to do. The challenge is that I have 26 students and only one iPad. I searched and found some great websites. I am excited about all the possibilities an iPad can bring into my classroom. There are so many educational apps that can provide both small and whole group activities. I can also hook the iPad up to my SmartBoard so we can use the different apps as a class. Students love to use technology and iPads are no different. I hope that I can teach my studetns fun interactive ways of learning. My hope as that they will go home and use their iPad like we do in the classroom!


Some of the apps I found appealing were Poll Everywhere. This app allows student to ask questions and enter data into the program. What a great math project or lesson!


 My second site has so many great ideas! The app I would love to try would be FlashCards (like the website Quizlet) and Video Time Machine (Over 200 History Facts).

 
Twitter:
O2Learn@O2Learn
Great list of top apps for use in the classroom by including our vid making app.
 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Stormie!
    I have the same (good) problem you do with only one iPad and 20+ students. I was thinking about letting my student of the day use it, but I wasn't sure how. (maybe play games at the end of the day or take AR tests) I liked the idea on your first link about how adaptable they can be. It suggested using them as a timer, calculator, or (my favorite idea) a weather station. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stormie,

    That can be a challenge with one ipad and lots of students. I use a behavioral managment system called ClassDojo. You could look into that. It gives and rewards points to students for certain things. You could then purchase a program to connect your ipad to your smartboard, just as Splashtop, and then you can see your smartboard screen on your ipad. Then, you could use DOJO to reward points to your students while walking around the room. With only one ipad I have found lots of teacher tools that engage the class as a whole because it is so hard to let all 26 find time to use it.

    ReplyDelete